Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Woman in Black

I've been away from the blog for quite a while. It's not that nothing has happened. In fact, rather a lot has, including a fortnight in sunny and very hot California. I'm in the process of editing the photos before posting them, so watch this space (but don't hold your breath).

Before leaving cold and damp Britain, Jan and I went to the theatre in Hanley, to see a rather fabulous adaptation of Susan Hill's ghost story The Woman in Black, starring Sean Baker and Ben Porter. The play was adapted by Stephen Mallatratt and directed by Robin Herford. The play was atmospherically done, with lots of low lights and flowing curtains, and minimal props.

The audience seemed to consist mostly of school children, and I feared for a disrupted evening (this is of course very prejudicial of me). In fact, the kids were spellbound by the play, and jumped & screamed at all the appropriate moments.

If you get a chance to see this play, do go.

No comments: