Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Michael Moorcock signing

If I need an excuse to visit London, here's a good one. On Thursday 21 October, from 6.00 pm, Michael Moorcock will be signing his new Doctor Who novel The Coming of the Terraphiles at the Forbidden Planet Megastore, 179 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8JR.

The press release says: "There are no words to describe the massive effect that Michael Moorcock has had on the growth of the fantasy genre – and on all our lives. He has won the Guardian Fiction Prize for The Condition of Muzak, and been shortlisted for the Whitbread Prize for Mother London. He’s best-loved through, for the epic characters he has created Elric, Jerry Cornelius and Colonel Pyat. This is rare opportunity to meet the genre’s own Eternal Champion." Can't say fairer than that. Oh yes, Moorcock also won several British Fantasy Awards plus other SF/fantasy awards.

Back in 1970 I read my first Moorcock novel, Behold the Man. I recall the year, if not the precise date, because I had just started working in the pathology labs at Portsmouth and one of my new colleagues loaned me the book. From that moment I was hooked by the mercurial mind of Michael Moorcock (as they used to say), and bought every MM title I could find. Fond memories...

No comments: